Hall Ambulance Service, Inc. has served the Kern County Community for over 50 years. Join us in building a future based on our founder’s values of Care, Compassion, and Community!
This is a great opportunity to join our Hall team! Dispatch our emergency medical teams across Kern County and provide compassion to our patients.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Typing Certificate will be required prior to interview
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Under supervision, performs as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher in the Communications Center. Work involves evaluating incoming calls to determine the appropriate level of response required, dispatching ambulance units, and transmitting information and messages upon request and/or according to established procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- In accordance with Kern County Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) protocols, receives, effectively triages and processes requests for ALS or BLS emergency medical service in an accurate and timely manner.
- Answers incoming emergency calls requesting service, at various levels of emergency care, from patients, customers and public safety agencies.
- Evaluates initial information and quickly determines whether an incident is an emergency and what level of care is needed. Makes accurate moment to moment decisions in determining level and which ambulance to dispatch.
- Obtains required information from party requesting medical transport as set forth by communications protocols. Quickly compares and verifies names, locations and descriptions received through the telephone dispatch system.
- Provides appropriate verbal directions to ambulance personnel to ensure response time standards are met; accurately reads maps and utilizes knowledge of local road closures and other issues to provide directions.
- Maintains accurate inventory and locations of ambulance resources assigned. Utilizes knowledge of emergency medical transport procedures and equipment to make sound dispatching decisions.
- Takes calls and dispatches field personnel simultaneously; multitasks within a busy and distracting work environment with other dispatch personnel present.
- Exercises considerable judgment under pressure while providing direction to patients and on scene personnel.
- Monitors public safety radio communications for updates to status of field activities. Advises Communications Supervisor and makes notes in data base as appropriate.
- Monitors and provides communication for helicopter flights with or without patients onboard; including emergency responses, transports, and standbys.
- Serves as after-hours backup for coordinating non-emergency interfacility transfers; schedules, collects billing information and processes approvals.
- Responds appropriately with excellent communication skills to maintain professional working relationships with employees, customers, patients, public safety agencies and team members.
TRAINING & EDUCATION:
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- EMD Certification mandatory within first year of employment.
- AHA CPR Certification, obtained within 30 days of hire.
WE HIRE GREAT PEOPLE.
What kind of person makes a stellar Hall Ambulance team member? Someone passionate about making a difference. The kind of individual who can identify with delivering exemplary care, in a compassionate manner, while serving their community. For Hall Ambulance, that’s the core of who we are.
WE STRENGTHEN YOUR CAREER.
From the beginning, we focus on building a better you. Whether you are just starting your EMS career or are a seasoned professional, you will experience a strong, supportive company culture. This includes taking advantage of on-going training and continuing education available through our accredited training facility, the Harvey L. Hall EMS Academy.
WE OFFER GREAT BENEFITS.
Our benefits package is designed to keep you performing at the top of your game, both at work and at home. It includes medical, dental, vision, life, flex spending, long-term disability, and 401(k), preparing you for retirement.
We offer paid time off, affording you time to rejuvenate, and Company-sponsored activities, including family picnics, employee lunches, and group outings to local sporting events.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO OUR COMMUNITY.
Founded in 1971, Hall Ambulance is the 911 paramedic provider for 88% of Kern County, California’s population. Our response area covers a diverse geographic region, including busy metro on the streets of Bakersfield, scenic mountain communities in the Los Padres National Forest and Tehachapi mountains, and the vast expanses of the Mojave Desert. Hall Critical Care Transport provides regional ground and air interfacility transport solutions extending from San Diego to Sacramento.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual in this position must possess the following qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams, managers, supervisors, and external customers. Excellent ability to communicate and work cohesively across Department lines.
- One to two years of EMS and/or dispatch related experience and/or training preferred.
- Knowledge of CAD system and range of software recommended.
- Be able to function in a high stress environment where the work goes from minimal to overload within moments.
- Must have computer competency including proficiency with Microsoft Suite, and understanding of database programs.
- Ability to consistently deliver outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Highly dependable and ability to meet internal deadlines consistently.
- Strong organization skills and attentiveness to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable, willing and able to adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
- Must have the ability to work independently as well as in groups. Ability to maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times.
- Must have a courteous, and decisive nature in order to provide maximum customer service under stressful conditions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Lift objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to sit and type at a computer station for long periods of time.
- Continuous listening and speaking ability required.